Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Somewhat disturbing.....

Life's just not fair to mice. They're small, everything bigger than them picks on them, I believe there's still about 300+ sitting in a freezer in the University of Otago that I'd forgotten about when I left. About the only things they could harrass were invertebrates. Well now the invertebrates fight back. I have to admit, even with my dislike of mice the footage is somewhat unpleasant. Via Pharyngula

To see mice getting the better of somehting much bigger than themselves here's some footage of mice attaking an albatross chick. Via Immunoblogging .

"Nature, red in tooth and claw"

Update: If the top link for the mouse doesn't work try this one.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes your right the "poor mouse" apparently rats don't like them too much either.

29/3/06 00:28  
Blogger Darkling said...

As much as I dislike mice, I have to admit to being a little bit uneasy about the idea of feeding live mice to the centipede. Possibly something to do with the process of having to get approval from the animal ethics committee for my fieldwork.

29/3/06 00:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see that application. the strange thing is you could do whatever you want to the centipede without eithics but you need ethics for it's food.
Hmm explain in lay persons terms how you are going to minimise the stress to this animal??

30/3/06 18:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o.k after all this time i finally watched this video....... it is actually an experiment, the centipede is in a glass tank. that thing is bloody huge please let me never come across one!

25/6/07 19:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home